If you’ve shot a video at least once in your life, then you probably know that shooting an entire video in one take is no easy feat. No matter how carefully you plan your shoot, chances are, you will end up having parts in your footage that you need to remove. This is an essential step in making sure your footage consists only of key moments and can engage the viewers without boring them.
Luckily, with the plethora of trimming tools available today, this will be easy to do. You can use them to cut the unnecessary parts from your video to achieve the desired look. The problem is to find the perfect tool that will fit your needs and help you trim your video in the best way possible and in the shortest time.
In this article, you’ll discover a list of functional and accessible tools that can come in handy whenever you need to trim a video quickly. Let’s get started!
- How to Trim Video Online?
- How to Trim Video Offline?
- How to Trim Video on Mobile?
How to Trim Video Online?
If you are looking for an online tool to trim your video without installing additional software to your computer, the Renderforest video editor may be one of the easiest options to go with. Let’s take a step-by-step look at how you can use it to crop unnecessary parts from your video.
Go to the template catalog to pick a video editing template.
Browse through the large selection of professionally designed templates, and pick the one that fits your project needs best. As an example for this tutorial, we will go with the “Broadcast Video Editing Toolkit.” Once you pick the template, select “Create Now” to move to the editor and start trimming your video.
In the next step, you have two options to create a video: manually add a scene from the library, or choose and customize a ready-made preset. To trim your video, select “Add Scene.”
For simpler navigation, the scenes are separated by categories which you can find on the left. To trim your video, scenes containing video holders are the most effective ones. From the “Videos” category on the top, select a scene with a video holder, and click “Insert.”
The next step is where you upload the footage that you need to trim. You have four options to add a video file: by uploading it, adding an existing video from your media library, via URL, or using stock footage from the library of more than 195,000+ available videos.
Once you select the video, it will be added to the video holder. To trim it, click on the scene on the right, and from the settings menu, select “Trim.” You will then be redirected to our advanced video trimmer.
The timeline of the video will be accessible below. Drag the corners of the footage to trim the beginning and end parts. Click the play button on the left to watch the trimmed parts, and adjust the edits.
To remove unneeded parts from the middle of your footage, drag the time indicator icon to the part you want to delete, and click the “Split” button. For a more precise selection, you can zoom in and out of the video timeline.
Do this for the beginning and end of the part you need to remove, then select the part and hit remove. Drag the remaining parts closer together, to attach them. The trimmed and full duration of the final video is available on the upper-right corner of the timeline so that you will be able to see how long the final footage is.
Once you are happy with the cut video, hit “Done” to go back to the editor. If there are any additional edits you want to make, such as adding text or music, you can do it in the editor. If not, proceed to the preview section to export your video. We advise you to go with “Free Preview” first, to see if there are any changes you need to make.
Give our editor a couple of minutes to export the video. When you are happy with the result, export the cut video in your preferred quality. You can share it on social platforms right away, or download the video to your device.
- Video Editing Basics for Beginners
- How to Add Music to Your Videos
- How to Remove Audio from Video Online and Offline
- 4 Easy Ways to Add Captions to Videos Online
How to Trim Video Offline?
Now that you know how you can trim and remove unnecessary parts of your video online let’s take a look at how you can achieve this on your computer using offline tools. This can come in handy, if you don’t want to be dependent on an internet connection, and want to have access to video trimming tools whenever you need them. Below is a list of the best video editing software tools you can download to your computers and have them at hand at all times.
Trimming Videos on Mac
If you are using a Mac, one of the simplest and multi-purpose editing tools you can use is iMovie. This editor has now been a long-time favorite for Mac users for its intuitive, yet versatile tools, and can help you trim videos in only several steps and export them to your computer instantly.
- Advanced video trimmer – The trimming tools allow for precise trimming, allowing you to fine-tune the video for the best results.
- Autosave – There is no “Save” option in iMovie, as the program automatically saves the edits made in your project so that you don’t have to worry about losing your work.
- 4K support – The program supports editing of 4K videos, to achieve the best quality of your project.
Here’s how you can trim your video in iMovie.
Final Cut Pro is another video trimming software developed by Apple, and beloved by editors who use Mac. This is a powerful software that streamlines the process of video creation and editing. While the software is paid, it offers a free trial, so you can try trimming tools before purchasing the license.
Final Cut Pro Features:
- Easy-to-use video trimmer – With the trimmer offered by Final Cut Pro, very basic trimming can be done with only three clicks. However, you are free to play around with more advanced options by adjusting transitions between scenes and overlaying the scenes.
- Audio editing – Use the audio editing tools to trim and align them to the video for a smoother viewing experience.
Trimming Videos on Windows
If Windows is the operating system of your choice, there are a number of tools that you can use to trim your videos. Adobe Premiere Pro is one of the most widely-used and versatile video editing tools available. While the advanced editing options may be hard for newbies, trimming a video using this program is simple even for complete beginners.
Adobe Premiere Pro Features:
- Video trimmer and cutter – The zoom in and out option in the video timeline allows for a clear-cut trimming of your video, with millisecond precision. This allows you to achieve frame-accurate timing, without any unnecessary scenes in your video.
- Audio trimming – Trim and adjust the audio to the video. You can also add audio effects, such as gradually decreasing sound, to avoid an abrupt ending of the sound.
- Export formats – After trimming your video, you can save the project to your computer in more than 30 formats, depending on your needs.
Here’s a step-by-step tutorial on how you can trim a video in Adobe Premiere.
Camtasia screen recorder and video editor is another excellent software available both for Mac and Windows computers to trim your videos. A large selection of available editing tools allows minimizing the trimming time while maintaining the quality of your footage.
- Simplified video editor – The drag-and-drop video editor of Camtasia makes trimming your video a breeze.
- Customizable keyboard shortcuts – In case you need to use the tool frequently to trim your videos, you can create keyboard shortcuts to make the process of trimming even faster.
- Export options – You can export the final video to your computer, or directly to YouTube, Vimeo, or to another video hosting site.
How to Trim Video on Mobile?
Trimming Videos on Android
In case you need to trim a video on your Android device quickly, then you are in luck because most Android devices come with a built-in trimmer. The tool offers very basic trimming options, allowing only to remove the beginning and end parts of your footage.
Android Built-In Trimmer Features:
- Basic trimmer – The in-built trimmer allows you to remove the beginning and end of your footage.
- HD export – While the encoding of your trimmed video may take some time, depending on the file size, the exported video will have the same quality as the original footage.
AndroVid (Android) is a widely used and beloved video editing tool for Android that allows users to edit and create videos for social media quickly. The application comes with a large selection of editing tools and can come in handy whenever you need to remove unwanted parts from your video on the go.
- Easy-to-use trimmer – The trimmer allows you to trim and remove the unwanted parts from any part of your video, and connect the remaining parts back together.
- Audio editing – Adjust the audio to your video by trimming it, to match the sounds with the trimmed footage.
- Watermark-free – While the app adds a watermark to the videos, it can be removed by watching an ad.
Trimming Videos on iOS
Renderforest Video Maker – Renderforest Video Maker app for iOS comes with a simple, yet precise video trimmer available on your iPhone at all times. Video trimmer offers the functionalities of the web version of Renderforest video trimmer, offering a handy solution for trimming your videos.
Renderforest Video Maker Features:
- Easy-to-use video trimmer – The video cutter allows users to cut and trim different parts of the video, to come up with the footage consisting of only key points.
- Export options – Select the quality of your final project, and export it to your device or different social media sites right from the app.
iMovie – Developed by Apple, iMovie is compatible with all iOS devices, offering a handy editing tool for iPhone users as well. The app comes with all the functionalities of its desktop version, offering you a powerful editing tool at your fingertips.
- Advanced trimmer – Precise trimming tools allow you to remove unnecessary parts from your video with several taps.
- 4K support – Trim and export 4K videos right from your smartphone, without loss in quality.
Adobe Premiere Rush – This is a powerful app by Adobe, developed to make professional video editing available on mobile devices. You can use this app both for quick trimming and for in-depth editing and scene matching.
Adobe Premiere Rush Features:
- Advanced trimmer – The trimmer allows for two ways to trim your video, depending on whether you want to remove middle parts, or the beginning or end.
- Audio editing – separate and trim the audio to fine-tune it to the video, for the best possible outcome.
- 4K support – The app allows users to edit 4K videos and export them to their device or straight to YouTube.
To sum up, there is no shortage of tools that you can use to trim your videos. The best option depends on what your preferences are, as well as on the device you use. Once you find the perfect tool or software and get the hang of it, the process will start to go smoothly. You can use online video trimming tools, such as Renderforest if you don’t want to go through installing additional software to your computer, or use applications designed for desktop or mobile.
Trimming a video is an essential step in the video creation process, so no matter what your preference is, make sure to try our several tools to find the one that will help you achieve your desired results.
Do you want to trim your video now? Go ahead and give our online video editor a try.