Having almost 2 billion monthly active users, YouTube makes it easy for creators and brands to find and reach their audience.
Of course, first, you should find the type of content your audience likes to watch, create YouTube videos tailored to their needs, and optimize your videos to be discovered by them through the YouTube algorithm.
Whether you are an independent creator starting on YouTube or a marketer promoting brands, knowing these YouTube usage statistics will help you improve your marketing strategy and ensure growth.
In the infographic below, we’ve gathered and categorized 70+ updated YouTube statistics you should know in 2022.
Use this HTML code to share the infographic on your website:
<a href="https://www.renderforest.com/blog/youtube-statistics"><img src="https://cdn.renderforest.com/website/blog-media/620a5df339b99620a5df339b9a.jpg" alt="YouTube Statistics 2022" border="0"/></a><br/>Via: <a href="https://www.renderforest.com">Renderforest</a>
General YouTube Statistics
- YouTube has over 2+ billion users.
- YouTube is available in 100+ countries in around 80 languages.
- 122 million users are active on YouTube daily.
- YouTube is the second largest search engine and the second most visited website after Google.
- YouTube users watch over a billion hours of video every day.
- YouTube TV has 3 million paying subscribers.
- YouTube Premium has around 1 billion paying users.
- In 2021, YouTube Premium and YouTube Music together had more than 50 million subscribers globally.
- Only 28% of the videos published on YouTube by popular channels are in English.
- There are over 38 million active YouTube accounts.
- 90% of digital consumers in the US use YouTube, making it the most popular video platform (including the ones who visit the platform through VPN services).
- YouTube app is the 2nd most downloaded entertainment app worldwide after Netflix with 166 million downloads.
- Google Play Games ranked 3rd among the world’s most downloaded entertainment apps with 131 million downloads.
- YouTube Kids is the 6th most downloaded entertainment app with 91 million downloads globally, so kids watch YouTube videos a lot too.
YouTube Video View Statistics
- 70% of videos that YouTube users watch are recommended by its algorithm.
- The average video duration on YouTube is 12 minutes.
- The average time spent on YouTube daily is 18 minutes.
- 20% of users will leave a video in the first 10 seconds.
- 15 billion YouTube shorts are watched daily.
- 8% of video consumers spend 15+ hours on free video streaming platforms.
- The most-viewed videos are related to themes like community, comfort, and creativity.
- People are 23 times more likely to visit or subscribe to the brand’s channel when they watch at least 30 seconds of a YouTube ad.
- The average number of pages viewed during one session from all types of devices is 3.22.
- More than 70% of YouTube video views come from mobile apps.
- People are 3 times more likely to watch how-to videos on YouTube than read instructions.
- 81% of US parents use YouTube to find entertaining or educational content for their children.
- 47% of people said that watching online videos helped them cope with personal problems.
- Relaxation and entertainment are the top 2 reasons viewers watch YouTube videos.
- YouTube users are 3 times more likely to watch videos on things they’re passionate about if they feature a celebrity or a famous influencer.
YouTube Statistics for Marketers
- 55% of marketers use YouTube globally.
- 62% of marketers plan to increase video ad spend on YouTube.
- 71% of B2B marketers use video content.
- 11% of B2B marketers use YouTube to promote content.
- Only 24% of marketers plan to use YouTube Live.
- YouTube ads on mobile are 84% more likely to attract leads than TV ads.
- 29% of marketers consider pre-roll skippable video ads as the most effective format.
- 80% of YouTube viewers prefer TrueView ads to standard in-stream ads.
- YouTube is the 2nd most popular platform for influencer marketing after Instagram.
- Compared to celebrities, YouTube creators are 4 times more effective at increasing brand awareness.
- For 51% of YouTube creators, their main goal is expressing creativity.
- For 34% of YouTube creators, promoting their business or brand is their main goal.
- 23% of YouTube influencers say that their top challenge as a creator is a lack of time.
- 60% of the views for the beauty industry come from beauty influencers, while brands bring in about 39% of the views.
YouTube Search Statistics
- 68% of top YouTube search results are of HD quality with an average length of 15 minutes․
- The numbers of comments, likes, shares, and views on your video are a ranking factor․
- YouTube has 4.5 million searches for YouTube․
- 20% of the top 100 YouTube searches in the US are related to music․
- Top 10 queries YouTube users searched for globally: BTS, PewDiePie, ASMR, Billie Eilish, Baby Shark, old town road, music, Badabun, Blackpink, Fortnite.
- BTS, a k-pop boy band, got over 16 million monthly searches worldwide․
YouTube User Statistics
- Among all YouTube users, 45% are female and 55% are male.
- 73% of US adults use YouTube. 78% of US male adults, and 68% female adults use YouTube.
- 95% of 18-29 year-olds in the U.S. use YouTube
- 91% of 30-49 year-olds in the U.S. use YouTube
- 49% of 65+ year-olds in the U.S. use YouTube
- 81% of US internet users use YouTube.
- 89% of YouTube users come from outside the US.
- 44% of Baby Boomers use YouTube daily.
- 75% of all millennials and 77% of Gen Zs visit YouTube on a regular basis․
- The top 5 countries based on YouTube audience size are India (467 million), United States (240 million), Indonesia (127 million), Brazil (107 million), Russia (99 million).
YouTube Financial Statistics
- YouTube pays an average of $3-5 for every 1000 video views and $18 per 1,000 ad views.
- YouTube partners with Content ID were paid over 2 billion US dollars.
- YouTube generates around 11% of Google’s ad revenues.
- In 2021, YouTube’s global advertising revenue was over 29 billion US dollars.
- YouTube channels that earn more than $100,000 per year grow more than 40% year on year.
- Channels earning more than $10,000 per year grow around 50% year on year.
Interesting YouTube Statistics
- Google acquired YouTube in 2006 for $1.65 billion.
- The most active 10% of channels were responsible for uploading 70% of videos. Among these videos, the most popular 10% had 79% of all views.
- YouTube’s most disliked video is their own YouTube Rewind 2018 with over 19 million dislikes.
- Lego is the most popular brand channel on YouTube with 13.8 million subscribers.
- In 2021, a total of approximately 6.23 million videos were removed from YouTube, including videos that had been automatically flagged for violating the platform’s community guidelines.
- “Me at the zoo” was the first video uploaded to YouTube on April 25, 2005.
- The first YouTube video that reached 1 million views was a 2005 Nike ad that featured football star, Ronaldinho.
- The most-viewed YouTube video is “Baby Shark Dance” by Pinkfong Kids.
- The most popular YouTube channel is the Indian music network T-Series with 207 million subscribers.
As you can see, YouTube is one of the most effective platforms for promoting your brand or becoming a creator that YouTube viewers will love.
Create your video content based on YouTube user statistics and make sure you upload high-quality content that will engage and entertain your audience. Even if it’s hard to please internet users, it’s still possible to drive more YouTube traffic and have a popular channel with many active users.
YouTube ad statistics will help you choose the right ads and target your audience for the best outcome.
Now, it’s the right time to start creating your videos and publishing them. Use our ready-made, customizable templates to create your awesome YouTube videos, intros, and ads in a blink! Click the button below to get started.